Monday, September 19, 2011

White Privilege by Peggy Mcintosh

After reading "White Privilege" by Peggy Mcintosh I have realized that this reading continues with the previous articles we have read in class.  So far all the articles we have read have had to do with race and realizing how not everyone is the same.   I wanted to first start off by relating this article to Lisa Delpit's article "Other People's Children." In both articles the authors bring up white privileges and the fact that white males have the power. They both believe that white males hold the power in the society that we live in and believe that changes need to come in order for other race, or gender to go further in society.  In my eyes Mcintosh does a better job explaining and dealing with this issue over Delpit and does it all in a not so aggressive way.
"Privilege, Power and Difference" by Johnson is also a good article we have read that connects to what Mcintosh is talking about. Both of them want to get the message across that gender, race, and sexuality are big factors in our everyday life.  No matter where we go you can see types of racism happing.  Both authors also want us to take a step back and look to see whats going on.  They want to makes us realize we can be part of the solution as long as we start to stick up for other genders, sexuality, and race.

After reading Mcintosh's article I realized more and more people believe that white males are in control of society and anyone that is different does not get treated the same. At first after reading Delpits article I thought it was just a few people that believed this and expressed it in a very poor and aggressive way, but after reading Mcintosh's article I have realized it is more people then I thought. This has now got me paying more attention to the way other people are treated and how much it is still really going on.  Just hanging around campus you can see how different students react to different things and how it is not fair for some people to be treated the way they are. I have now made it a goal to step in and stick up for different people if they are being treated badly, and hopefully can help in making a difference in the world we will in.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you reflected on the issues and realized that the authors were right - I had the same realizations! Everyone is responsible for the social mess we are in and the only way we are going to make it better is for people of every gender, race, class and sexuality to make a stand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Heather. Except, I didn't agree with most of the authors and this gave a chance to look on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same realization that it really is a lot of people that think this way, it really is a shame.
    I like how you want to help though it's a start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent connection to our other authors!!!

    ReplyDelete